- Publisher: WME Books imprint of Old Dog Digital, LLC
- Available in: Paperback; Kindle ebook
- ISBN: 978-1-934229-36-1
- Published: July 4, 2019
Two transformative questions for leaders, coaches, parents, teachers, and lifelong learners:
- Why is reading critical to our personal and professional growth, brain health, emotional intelligence, happiness, and yes, even our longevity?
- What simple techniques can we use to get more reading into our lives – and help those we serve do the same – even when we’re “too busy”?
You’ve probably heard the saying, “Leaders are readers.” Ever wonder if that’s true? Or if so, then just how does reading make better leaders?
After seeing yet another headline along those lines, I decided to find out what the science shows. In Read ’Em & Reap we’ll journey through recent scientific research confirming how reading – and reading print books, in particular – delivers on the leadership promise, and much more. Some of the ways may surprise you:
- reducing harmful stress
- helping you sleep better
- improving your decision-making capacity
- making you smarter
- increasing your empathy
- and even helping you live longer!
All these contribute directly or indirectly to making you a better leader, right? And how about a better partner, parent . . . person? They make you healthier and happier, too!
If these claims sound like snake oil, printed and bound, read on. The supporting science you’ll learn about is pretty overwhelming.
Once you follow the evidence, the last three chapters will help you apply it to get more reading into your life and more life out of your reading.
So if you’re already a book-a-holic, you’ll see why that “affliction” so enriches your life. If you’re not, get started now, with this book; the proof is at your fingertips!
“This book will help you to re-frame the time you spend reading. Read ‘Em and Reap [shows] you not only why reading helps you live longer, but what to read, and how to read so you can benefit from the longevity effect regular reading delivers.”
– Pamela Wilson, author of Master Content Marketing and Master Content Strategy
“Read ‘Em & Reap provides an important reminder of the many benefits of reading. Part of its value comes from being a short, easy to read treatment, yet I found myself reacting to several research revelations with variations of, ‘Cool! I didn’t know this …’ This book will inspire others, as it has me, to read more.”
– David Gower, Founder, New Clean Earth, LLC and Youbicwitus™
“Whether you read for work or for fun, this powerful little book will affirm the benefits … of both! Because of Read ‘Em & Reap, I’m reading more these days and feeling less guilty about reading for leisure/escape. How’s that for impact?!”
– Sybil Stershic, author of Taking Care of the People Who Matter Most and Share of Heart, Share of Mind
“There is so much in the book to commend it, reminders for all the reasons to read, leading to Tom’s call to ‘Take Action’ — which may lead you to friends old and new, vibrant conversations, and as in my case, feeling compelled to write!”
– Bruce Peters, entrepreneurial guide and founder of Beyond Teal: Transform Life at Work™
“Brilliant! The whole concept of Read ‘Em & Reap is so needed. I truly appreciate the intelligent nudge it’s given me to make more time to read!”
– Mia Voss – Mia On The Go, Storyteller Luxury Travel & Lifestyle Writer Brand Promoter & Speaker
Where this book came from:
Read ‘Em & Reap grew from my research on changes in our learning habits, increasing longevity, emerging science of lifelong brain plasticity, and realities of multi-generational work/life relationships – all shaping my work as “Chief Guide Dog” here at Old Dog Learning.
Reading dominated my 25-year legal career in research, writing, and oral argument. It remained central to staying current in my subsequent entrepreneurial roles in business consulting, book publishing, and co-founding a pet industry venture that ended in a Fortune 500 acquisition.
It continues as a key to adding more “dots” I can connect with my experience when helping individuals and teams who feel stuck learn what they need to find their path forward via our Professional Learning Partnerships.